Battery operated PH meters, any good?

Technical things that don't fit in the other 2 topics.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

Battery operated PH meters, any good?

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:04 pm

Hello, i'm going to be buying a hand held battery operated PH meter in the near future and was wondering if there was any i should stear clear of :question: ....I've been looking on ebay and there's quite a bit of choice and prices, so i'm not sure what to buy now.....Any advice would be as always gratefully received :thumbsup:
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Mick Burke » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi Mark,

I personally would buy a TDS meter instead!

I tried the Ph ones, but you do need to keep them calibrated, with stock solutions etc, if not, they go-off target.
I found, that once I 'did not trust the reading' the whole thing was usless, :thumbsdown:

I now use a TDS meter (which IMO/E is far more reliable, for a ham-fisted fool like me :wink: ), Knowing my basic water parameters, if the TDS starts to move more than expected, I reach for the drop-test and check.

HTH, Cheers, Mick B
Mick Burke
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Judy Sparkes » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:23 am

I have two different models....and I still go for the drop kit! I agree with Mick....I'd go for a tds meter instead.

Jude :angel:
Life is what happens when you're busy making plans!
Judy Sparkes
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:09 am

Thanks for the input, so both of you reackon one of these TDS meters then :question: Just one thing though, i've not even heard of these before now, what do they read, ph, temp :question: Are they a simple device that you put the tank water on the end and it gives you a digital reading :question: Sorry for the questions but i want to find out before i part with the cash :biggrin: Thanks again, Mark
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Mark Evenden » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:36 pm

TDS = Total Dissolved Solids / conductivity the waters ability to hold an electrical charge.

Several scales used PPM, microsiemens being the two most widely.

It is usefull to monitor the TDS of your water as it is a good indicator to its "health"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_dissolved_solids

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_conductivity
"Semper Fidelis"
Mark Evenden
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:57 pm

Thanks for your help, all this is a bit Greek to me :biggrin: If Discus are fine between ph 6 and 7, is there a TDS reading that I would have to head for as well that they would be happiest at :question: Do these meters need calibrating like the PH ones or can you just test with the water and you get a reading :question: Sorry for all the questions but i'm nowhere near a water chemist and that's why i'm asking on here because i know i can get the answers i need off experts like you and others :thumbsup: Thanks once again for your help :thumbsup:
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Robyn James » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:06 pm

I had one of the pH pens (bought on ebay, as they were much dearer through pool shop or LFS). I actually liked it - you do need to calibrate it regularly though. Not a problem for me, as I have the solutions already for my pH controller for the C02.

My only problem with battery operated pen was that I put the wrong end in the water & it didn't work at all after that. I haven't gotten around to getting a new one, but may do so soon.
cheers,
Robyn
Robyn James
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:03 pm

Thanks Robyn, i liked that type of meter as well, i used to borrow the one from where i used to work so it was already set up and a quick dip later and i knew where i was :biggrin: I was just wanting something that you could just switch on and use without having to calibrate every 5 minutes or is just wishful thinking :question: :biggrin: Thanks, Mark
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Robyn James » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:38 pm

I think calibration is monthly
cheers,
Robyn
Robyn James
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Other Technical Questions