[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Discus Page Holland • View topic - Help with resealing tank please

Help with resealing tank please

Technical things that don't fit in the other 2 topics.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

Help with resealing tank please

Postby Troy Still » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:36 am

Troy Still
Rookie
Rookie

Postby William Harper » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:46 am

William Harper
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Fred Goodall » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:30 am

HI Guys :welcome:

I would like to add two things... cut flat against the glass as a guide and do not 'cut into' the seams between the glass panels. Secondly... after cutting off the old sealant... it is a good idea to then sterilise the tank, then use a bit of nail polish / acetone to clean the GLASS that will be UNDER the new seal. For killing the algae that is growing / under the old sealant... household bleach at 10 parts water to 1 part bleach works well on killing algae and leaving surfaces clean of said algae. Also sterilises the tank too. "wouble rinse" and a "wipe down" with dechorinater to be "extra safe" after "bleachig".
Regards,

fred :hat:

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby William Harper » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:05 pm

Fred is completly correct, sorry I didn't mention those things in my last post. Good lookin out Fred :thumbsup: Again, you can never be too thorough. Good luck, hope everything goes smoothly :lol:

Will :owl:
William Harper
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Fred Goodall » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:25 am

Hi Will :welcome:

Chalk that up to being OLD and LAZY.... done up that way... the seal should be "good for" ... well... 20 years so far. :wink: By the way... I highly recommend "resealing" a new tank's TOP.... the top seam... all around the "underside edge of the top molding"... you would surprised how "open" that area is on "quality" tanks :thumbsdown: :eek: :thumbsdown: Sealing that area will prevent "opening" of the side seams over time ( 2 or 3 years down the road ).
Regards,

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Troy Still » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:22 am

Cheers for that info guys :thumbsup:
I now have a good idea of how to go about it.
When spreading silicone do you just use your finger ?

Troy
Troy Still
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Fred Goodall » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:32 am

Hi Troy :welcome:

Well... yeah.... but putting on Latex or better... Nitrol glove makes the same "perfect, custom contour" seal.... while making it SIMPLE to clean your hands :wink: ( Good guality silicone sealant will actually dry in your pores while you "work" your reseal and your finger tip will be "slippery" for a few days ).
Regards,

Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby William Harper » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:53 pm

Right again Fred. I had a problem once when I resealed a tank and didn't take the time to reseal the top around the top molding. It is very unsightly to have water marks running down from the top of your tank down to the bottom, or even the floor.
William Harper
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Other Technical Questions