[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Discus Page Holland • View topic - A New Delivery!

A New Delivery!

Place here Off Topic messages, subjects or non "aquarium" questions.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

A New Delivery!

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Well where do i start?!...At half past 12 today i got a big box full of fish and a book...I nearly ran back out to the van driver to see if he had got the order mixed up as i hadn't ordered a book :read: and i definately didn't order that many fish :eek: ...I want to say a huge thanks to Mark at Devotedly Discus for the great Fish i have recieved and another huge thanks for Tony and his advice on where to get them...I really appreciate all your help Tony and 3rd time lucky, every Fish was alive and healthy (unlike the other 2 times with different sellers) and it has restored my faith in ordering Discus again, you really know your stuff don't you?!...I know where to buy any future fish now thanks to Tony and Mark...I fed them with frozen Brine Shrimp and they all ate and a few hours later i put in Discus granules and half of them ate so all is good and they are not frightened at all and are settling in already with none of them hiding at all...Once more, huge thanks. :king:
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Re: A New Delivery!

Postby Tony Vaughan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:15 pm

Start at the start and end at the finish..........the book I mean :roll:

No need to thank me :nono: :nono: :nono: it was all MJE's good work :wink:

Best of Luck with the new acquisitions and be sure to keep us updated. If you need any help then don't be afraid to ask :wink:

Best Regards.................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Maria Ashton » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:06 pm

post pics when you can
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm going to wait until i have my new tank and all ticking over ok and i will put a video on youtube, i always think that that gives you a better overall indication as to the condition of the fish...I can't believe the quality of the Alenquers, :eek: they must have to be the closest looking thing to a wild brown as you can get, :lover: i might have to see about rearranging a few tanks and get a few more of them so i can have them all on their own in a seperate tank, they're stunning and so natural looking! :eek: Within half an hour in the new tank, they were all up and down at the front of the glass and not nervous one bit, i've even had the syphon tube in after only 1 day and did a partial water change with no problems, they went to the back of the tank and when i had finished, they were all back at the front of the tank again! The Beef Heart flakes they have been ignoring while the regulars were scoffing, the red Discus granules they were interested in and kept sucking them in and spitting them out...I have put frozen Brine shrimp in and they have scoffed all that up no problems so i might try it again and semi thaw some of that out and mix Beef Heart flakes in with it and see if i can ween them on to the flakes eventually because that would be much more benificial than Brine Shrimp any day.I might buy some frozen Beef Heart just to keep them ticking over until i can get them used to all the different foods i have on offer for them, thanks once more Tony...Mark.
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Oh you TEASE Mark :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

I like the you tube comment and it is a fair one. In the past I've asked people for pics of sick fish to try and help with diagnoses (I agree it's a bit old fashioned) but if they were able to put up a video it would be so much easier :wink:

Glad you are happy with them :thumbsup: and it sounds like you finally got a good foundation to grow things on.

I got a report from a c0ck Robin that I know who was close by that the driver was a little annoyed that he did not get a tip but in fairness I'm sure it was the last thing on your mind. He got paid for delivery so that was enough :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin: :eek:

Tip: feed a new food in the morning when fish are most hungry and they will eventually get used to it :wink:
Beefheart :question: :?: :question: :?: should have asked Mark for some :thumbsup:

Please stop "thanking" me..............my hair is starting to grow back and I prefer being bald. (well I don't prefer it but I've gotten used to it) :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

Best Regards............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi Tony...I was only reading last night about putting the 'new food' in as the 1st feed of the day and tried it this morning and nearly all the new ones ate the bh flake with no problems, so by dinnertime i had fed them another 4 times (only smallish amounts) and everyone was eating as if it had been their favourite food all along!..That's the best thing about getting smaller fish, they always want food and a lot easier to get off 'hunger strike' and trying new things...Theres 2 or 3 that need feeding up a bit and are not as 'filled out' as the others but i've got it all under control i think :erm: !..As for the van driver, he was lucky i didn't rip his arms off, i about mugged him i was that excited to see a big polystyrene box in his arms, i can't believe i've never lost that feeling when i see new fish arriving, i suppose that's a good thing though because it just shows that their going to get the right attention they deserve!...Cheers, Mark.
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi Mark :welcome:

Are you saying that I was right and that I should write a book or are you just saying that I read and book and passed the correct info on :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin: :eek:

Keep feeding them as normal and just make sure the thin one's are eating and they should fill out. Far too often it is easier to keep an eye on "the favourites" or the more active one's and forget about the one's that require the most attention :wink:

It's good to hear you were excited when the driver arrived...............I know how that can make one feel..........but by the same token from your past experience I thought you may have grabbed him by the collar and said............"You Matey are not going anywhere until I open this box" :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

All in all I'm glad that you are happy and I wish you every success with them.

If there is anything I/We can do to help then just ask..................."there are no stupid questions...........just stupid answer's" :wink:

Best Regards................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:36 pm

I seen the van pull up and the driver got outand went round to the passenger side...The Fish were next to him on the van seat and the box didn't even have a lid on, his heater would have been on in the van so i knew they would all be fine, i just took the box, shut the door quickly and stared in amazement at all the bags that were in the box, i had to keep counting them! :eek: I have fed them all another 3 times tonight so it wont take long for the thinner ones to catch up, they are behaving normally, eating normally and swimming around with the others and none of them are hiding at all so i'm not worried in the slightest...The only thing is.........All those wt's because of all the feedings!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:59 am

I know eating normally and swimming around is what is normal for you pro's with your fish, but all the experiences i've had buying from people who aren't so good has resulted in darkened fish that skulk out of the way at the back of the tank and fish on hunger strike...Eating and swimming normally on a new batch of fish is a novelty to me!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:30 am

Pro :question: :?: :question: :?: :nono: :nono: :nono:

I am only a hobbyist :thumbsup:

Sorry that you had a bad start but lets draw a line in the sand and take a deep breath and focus on the new year and the future. If at any point you want advice or help then we will do as best we can :wink:

Best Regards................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark Evenden » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:00 am

Spec Saver's appointment required Mr Woodhouse.... :glasses:

The fish are shipped in sealed boxes with heat packs, up to 20 bags per box for small fish............upon arrival, the sealed box is opened, and each bag is checked and placed into a box that is left at the delivery address.... The shipping box is then resealed and onto the next house.

Shipping boxes cost £16 each, so there is no point leaving them at the point of delivery if it can be avoided, ....... :nono:
"Semper Fidelis"
Mark Evenden
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:56 pm

I must need glasses then because i never seen any of that, the bloke got out, took a box and went round to the side door, all he wanted was a black sheet thing back that he had left on top of the big polystyrene box because it had no lid on!...I don't know how much you're meant to feed them at this size but they get about 8 small feeds a day and they are very healthy!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi Mark W,

Would you care to describe this chap that did this dastardly deed so that MJE can kick his ass :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Best Regards........................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:22 pm

My eyes were firmly fixed on the big poly box, not the driver...I don't care who he was, he delivered me healthy fish that were still lovely and warm which is the only thing i was bothered about!...Now how many feeds a day is the ,minimum and maximum, because i cant help feeding them all the time because they beg and i cant say no!...I am keeping up with the wt so it's not a problem!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Next

Return to General Chat