New discus from Chens

Place here Off Topic messages, subjects or non "aquarium" questions.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

New discus from Chens

Postby Paul Tordoff » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi all, well after a 5 year break from discus ive spent a small fortune setting up a 750ltr tank for some discus, i got my first 8 from Chens last Saturday. 2 checkerboard pigeons, 2 blue cobalts, 2 blue turqs, a red turq and a brilliant turq.

All settled in within a couple of hours and fed straight away, ive kept their bellies full regularly all week with a mix of tetra prima, tetra colour, std. flake, spirulina flake, beefheart, brine shrimp, bloodworm & chopped cooked mussels.

These fish have a fantastic temperament, fed from my hands within 2 days, they`re not shy at all, so different from the stendkers i had last time. Ive now got 3 eheim 2028`s working on the water (2 are linked in series), the water is like glass, perfect.

Going back to see Francis next month for 8 more, definately a pair of red marlies, another red turq and what-ever else takes my fancy at the time. I really wanted a couple of yellow crystals but francis advised that i shouldnt feed them tetra prima as they turn red, i might risk it though and limit the tetra prima. Most of my other tetra`s are used to tetra prima.

http://youtu.be/3ZEcy45iPf4
First i had 3 in 1 tank, then 8 in two tanks, now 14 in two tanks, where else can i put a tank.?? I`m running out of rooms.!!
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Re: New discus from Chens

Postby Tony Vaughan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi Paul :welcome:

Welcome Back.

Glad to hear you are happy how things are progressing and the tank is looking good. The only thing I would change is I would remove bloodworm from the diet...............JMO :wink:

I don't know where you got the Stendker fish from but IMO Stendker fish generally speaking offer very good value for money. If you are trying to cut Prima from their diet then send me your addy and I'll send you some Tony Tan granules. I used them and like them a lot. IMO the food enhances the natural colours with dying them. You should then be able to wean the tetra's off Prima before you go back to Francis :wink:

Best Regards.............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul Tordoff » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:24 pm

You have PM :-)
First i had 3 in 1 tank, then 8 in two tanks, now 14 in two tanks, where else can i put a tank.?? I`m running out of rooms.!!
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi Paul!
Who's is the mini, yours or next doors?!
When you get your next lot in there, you should film at night with no living room lights on, just the tank ones.
All messing about aside, they are lovely fish, but i'm still not sure about Discus that don't have a stripe running through their eye, it just seems such a Cichlid thing and i prefer them like that. You have some nice stock in there and room for more (if you have enough funding left!) and they will look great when they have put a bit of size on them, you must be very proud of them!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Hey Tony, are you the Granule dealer mate and will my Altums be interested do you think?
Let me know if your the man to talk to!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Paul Tordoff » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Hey mark, thanks for your kind words and yeah i love them to bits. Me? own a mini? noooooooooooooooo.! lol .!! You mentioned about the stripe throught the eye, not many strains these days have that, especially the redder strains. heres a link to my old discus tank, not many in there with the stripe either and they were all stendkers.

Im pretty sure im getting 6 or 8 more next month, ive seen some called "tiger cobalt" they look truly stunning fish, i just gotta look at some of those.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 539548589#
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi Paul, i was only asking about the Mini because it was in the reflection!
Yeah i know that there is a lot of strains without the original eye stripe, i'm just old fashioned with my fish!
If i was to have Discus without the eye stripe though it would have to be the checkerboards any day, they are stunning fish with stunning markings and yours look suberb!
Oh yes, i've commented on your video and gave it a thumbs up, looks good.
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Paul Tordoff » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:52 pm

Cheers Mark, the red turq i have now i think will be the most impressive one with its current colours. The blue turqs, brilliant turq and the 2 cobalts are still quite pale at the moment though the cobalts do go quite dark blue when they are fighting for the BH.
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 pm

LOL - I saw the reflection too :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mark, I have a supply of Tony Tan's granular food. I use it and both I and my fish prefer it to Prima. If you want some to try out then send me a pm with your addy...................I bet the Altums will love it :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

Best Regards...............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul Tordoff » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Have you guys got any ideas where i can get a couple of red marlbro`s from? no one seems to have them anymore.
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi Paul,

I know that Tony Tan sells Marlboro Red's so if you want some to reduce risk by cross infection I would ask Francis when his next shipment from Tony is and ask him for MR's............I know Tony and Jeffrey so I have no doubt that they will try and accommodate you. I'm not sure if Francis will be able to sort it out but I personally see no reason why not. Then you will get what you want from the same supplier..........and all will be happy................JMO :wink:

Best Regards.................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul Tordoff » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:03 pm

Cheers for that Tony, as your in the KNOW would i be cheaky in asking you to contact Tony for me and getting me contact details for him? I really wont behappy until i get a couple.

Ive asked Francis if he could get a couple for me but ive heard no reply and i dont blame him if its too much of a ball ache.

many thanks, paul
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:13 pm

K - I got a stocklist from Jeffrey a few weeks back so let me take a look at it and I'll see if they are on the list.

Best Regards.....................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Chat