Red shoulder manucapuru

Information on another popular "flat and round fish" that most of us keep.

Red shoulder manucapuru

Postby Maria Ashton » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:30 am

Has anyone had any experience keeping these guys red shoulder manucapuru? Do they require extra care? I am very taken with them.

Tony - did you recommend this place to me a while ago?
http://www.discuskwekerijnhamunda.nl/

They sometimes get these fish in.
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Red shoulder manucapuru

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:55 am

They are very nice looking fish! :lover:
I take it these are wilds and not tank bred fish that you have seen?
I would have thought they wouldn't have been that difficult to keep alive and healthy as they are 'Scalare' after all and i rate them as 'Bullet Proof' fish!
Obviously the water parameters will need checking to begin with but i'm sure they would be very adaptable in a short space of time if you changed them gradually to suit your own and i can't imagine feeding being a problem as all Angels eat like absolute pigs.
Anyway, just go and get some, they look fanstastic (like to know how much they are?) and let us know!
Mark.
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:50 am

Hi Maria,

I can't see any angelfish on that site but then again but Dutch is not so good :erm: :eek: :erm:

No, that is not one that I recommended. I "think" I know the guy who owns it but I'm not 100% sure I got the right guy in mind.

I have kept them before and they were awesome looking fish. The one's I had were F1's and I got from Michael Stiemer from Discus World Holland in Amersfoort.
I'll dig out some pics tonight and load them (if I can find them).

What I did find with them was that they are more sensitive than other F1's and a tad more aggressive also. I was importing some wild Heckels at the time and the angels caught an infection and I lost them but they were awesome fish.

Best Regards...................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Maria Ashton » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:36 pm

@ Tony the angels are here: http://www.discuskwekerijnhamunda.nl/we ... Path=2_184
The Dutch call them manfish
I dont know if you can run Google Chrome on a pc, I have it on the mac and it has a great feature - a translate button.

@ Mark - am waiting on a price, found some on the Dutch equivalent of eBay - marktplaats 4 for 30 euros which is a steal but the seller is 1.5hrs drive away and I am a FT mother of three under the age of 6, the site above delivers and lists them at 15 euros each but states that prices vary and to contact for a quote.
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:59 pm

Price wise sounds a bargain if you can get them Maria.
I've just found someone selling Altums about half an hours drive away from me, 30 quid each, so i might have to go and get some!
It's all money...But i'd only end up wasting it on rubbish if it wasn't on fish. :biggrin:
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi Maria,

Thanks for the link, I did get that far but when I saw Blues and Jazz I went back to the previous page :roll: :roll: :roll:

I thought they were called Manvis in Dutch so thanks for that :wink:

I paid €25 each for them, hand picked and that was in '08.

The pics are not great but it gives you an idea of what they looked like and the potential they had.

Best Regards.................Tony

Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Maria Ashton » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks for the photos, they look amazing. I think I have to get some, trouble is I am treating my other community tank for fungus - whilst we were away the temp dropped to 20c for some reason and I came back to one dead fish and a few sick ones with white patches.

I might put them in with the discus but the reason I moved the other angels out in the first place was that I found them to be bullies with the discus. Will try and see.

Do these guys need a lower ph? Both my tanks are at 7.
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Maria Ashton » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:11 am

@ Mark - yes I am the same, spend a fortune on my fish but better that than rubbish. Also as you gain experience you realise what you do and do not need. Most of the time its about a little extra work in terms of housekeeping, good clean water and good food is all they want. Wish my kids were as simple :smile:
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Hi Maria :welcome:

I mentioned to Mark that I'm not a fan of keeping wild discus and domestic angels together. I think I may have made a different comment to Mark but this is the more accurate one. I would be happy to hear that i have been proven wrong :wink:

Yes, they are very nice fish, and if you can make a trip to Michael's place I would just to see the 4 foot cube that he has inside the door with Wild Red Shoulder Manacaperu along with some Geophagus. Also, if you can't get them then see if you can find some Santa Isabel Red Shoulders..................nice fish also :wink:

Best Regards.........................Tony
p.s. Yes, a neutral ph will be fine :thumbsup:
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:58 am

I would love to own some of those too, they would look stunning when big.
The 2nd photo looks like they have been told to pose like that for the pic!
All my Discus are moving about 3 miles away to a friends house tonight so i have a new tank arriving next week. My friend has just completed a fish house inside his garage (used half the space) wich has 17 tanks in and he wanted the Discus as his show tank as you open the door.His show tank is a lot bigger than mine and he works from home so he will have all the time to look after all his fish.
I work in a nursing home and all my shifts are all over the place again at the minute and i'm not having so much time so he made me a good offer and i am pleased that i can see them when i want and if there's any babies in the future, i get them for free!
My new tank that's coming next week some time (waiting for new stock to arrive) is a 25.5 inch (65cm) cube and i want it just for Angels. I have my one Altum that i cant bear to part with who is going in there and some Scalare. I was going to have just Altums but i'm not convinced my tank is big enough so i'm just keeping the one for now as a 'trial fish'.
What i'm wondering really though, is how many Scalare would be an ok number to have in that cube?
C'mon Tony what do you think on numbers?! :erm:
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Maria Ashton » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:58 am

yeah the cube sounds like it will be awesome. We want to see pics when its in place.

I used to work in an old people's home so I have an idea of what its like with shifts and trying to juggle everything else, I currently juggle three small children and several school and preschool runs. Had my outlaws and aunt in law over for three months also so its been chaotic here. Still trying to sort out my two tanks after leaving them in the care of the old folk whilst we went to England for Christmas, came back to a dead fish in each and a few deaths followed. Thankfully only lost one discus and it had been struggling for months, going dark, pinched forehead and not growing. I wormed three times but it didnt help it so when I saw it really struggling a few days ago I decided enough was enough put it in a bucket with some easylife to "destress" it and put it in the cold, it died in an hour.

I think I would be devastated to part with my discus but having them at your friends place sounds ideal and a fish room hey? Nice, our garage was integrated into the house a few years back but not sure I could persuade my husband to let me have it as a fish room.
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Maria Ashton » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 am

and @ Tony am guessing its not wise to mix domestic and wilds because of pathogens and parasites? Same with discus no? But if the fish are tank bred is it still the same?
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Maria, it's ok to mix wild with domestic species as long as they have all been in QT.
IMO it is no different putting a wild Discus in with your domestic Discus or a wild Corydora in with your Discus, they all carry stuff with them which can do damage to your fish at home if not sorted out 1st.
Most people don't mix wild Angels or wild Discus with domestics purely because it's not so natural looking or 'the done thing', it's usually nothing to do with diseases but purely down to asthetics (spelt wrong?!)
If i had a tank full of 'wilds', i wouldn't want to spoil the appearance with domestics either!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi Mark,

Pose LOL they were a little spooked by the flash that makes them look erect and alert, to add to this I think I moved them to this new home shortly before the pic was taken. Sorry to hear you are losing your new acquisitions but whats best for the fish is important and I'm sure your mate will look after them :wink:
The new tank is not that large so I would be a little hesitant putting angels in there and here is why. That size tank is ok for a group of domestic juvvies say 6 - 10 (or 12) depending on the size. Now move the goalposts a little and add wild angels to that tank and you will have nothing but trouble so I think you need to decide what you want before deciding what will angels look like....................JMO :thumbsup:

Best Regards....................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks Tony
I am hoping to pick up another 3 Altums friday night if the woman agrees on my offer of £90 (she wanted £35 each but these are her last 3)
Altogether my new cube would have 4 Altums and 2 domestics (the domestics i am having don't look out of place with the Altums!)
I can't see the tank being too small for 6 Angels (even when adult?) at the minute, the Altums are only 12cm (i know they will grow), there will only be a BN in there as well and a single root.
Thoughts again please?!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Next

Return to Angel Fish