MISSING DORSAL FIN

Do you have a sick discus, is one of your fish acting strange, do you need help with the appropriate medication, ask your questions here.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

MISSING DORSAL FIN

Postby Stephen Ryan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 pm

young dicus with no dorsal fin

- here’s hoping you can help!

I have been breeding Discus for many years, just recently - last 6 months or so - the batches of young discus have been developing WITHOUT a dorsal fin or if it has one it is badly deformed.

The batches have good hatch rates – 90% both with and without MB

Water is about neutral and I have added calcium carbonate in the form of “limestone flour” to raise calcium levels but it made no difference to the formation of the dorsal fins. There has been no alteration to the water chemistry during the period.

Genetic? - I don’t think so as I have mixed up my pairs and used adults from different strains.

Water? - I don’t think so as I have been using only newly filtered water - sediment and HMA.

Infection? - I have sterilised my tanks and equipment with Hydrogen peroxide.

I have come to the conclusion that it must be the parents that are carrying a biological infection?, pathogen?, parasite?

All the breeding stock were on a central filtration system but they have now got individual tanks, still getting deformaties

Have you encountered this type of deformity before and can you help me get rid of it – please.

Stephen Ryan
Stephen Ryan
Rookie
Rookie

Re: MISSING DORSAL FIN

Postby Tony Vaughan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:15 am

Hi Stephen :welcome:

I know you know your stuff so this might be a complicated one to resolve. Can you do me a favour and put up pics of the parents and maybe some of the fry please just so we can see what we are dealing with ??

Best Regards.....................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MISSING DORSAL FIN

Postby Valy Cotofrea » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:47 am

A 50% of my last fry i got had the same problem, or so I thought... I kept a few and when they got around 4 cm I saw that the dorsal fin wasnt missing but it was sticked on the back. The parents are a solid blue and a turqoise so the inbreeding is unlikely ....maybe water (didnt had No2, No3 tests at the time ) that was my guess...
Valy Cotofrea

Return to Illnesses, Treatments and Medications