Snakes - Thailand

As the title says... here is a special subforum for our "other" best friends and favorite photo subjects

Snakes - Thailand

Postby Jeff Challenor » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:07 am

Hi All,

I have been in Thailan for a while now. Just thought you might like to see a few pics of snakes that i have had close encounters with.

1. I am not that clued up with snakes. But this one the locals call a singa. They reckon a bite off one of these is quite serious. They are always around her, after the water rats, mice, frogs etc. Unfortunatly, when any of the family see these they kill them as we have small children that are always playing around the homes.

2. This snake I was not sure of, I thought it was some type of cobra. I was sitting at the family shop at the top of our drive having a beer and a chat with a couple of swiss friends, when I heard my dogs barking, i came back to the house and was stood near the fench and I could not see anything, but the dogs just kept barking, unknown to me there was this thing on the window sill behind me. I only knew when I heard it fall and see it go behind some rubbish.

One of the family members seen that I was upto something and came over told him the best I could has I speak little Thai. He seen it and told me to be careful....CAREFUL...LOL I didn't want to be there.

It had went into an old clay water pipe, he grabbed the pipe, tossed it in the air and when it hit the ground and broke all hell broke loose. The snake reared up and this what convinced me it was a cobra...we both backed off, it made a swoop for the family member, he managed to jump out of the way but at the same time whacked it with is bamboo stick, he then whacked it again then just walked off....amazing how he avoided it but still managed to kill it.

I looked this snake up on the internet and came across this website : http://www.mrx.no/Phuket/One_move_and_t ... u_die.html So according to this website one bite off this beauty and your dead in 15 minutes.

After doing more research I have found out that this snake is in fact a copperhead ratsnake, which are not deadly at all, but when threatened they will mimic a cobra. http://www.ratsnakes.com/Eradiata.html

Tried explaing this to may wife by showing her the articles that I have found on the internet but she is still adamant that both snakes are dangerous.

Here's a couple of more pics of a couple of snakes mating in the stream that runs along the side of our home....not sure what species they are, maybe a member can help in identfying them.

Regards
Jeff & Wan
Jeff Challenor

Postby Andrew Soh » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:06 am

Interesting, Jeff.

Keep up the good work and try to take clearer pictures :thumbsup:

Andrew :angel:
'Discus, The Naked Truth'
'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
Author
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... p?ref=home
Andrew Soh
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jeff Challenor » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:34 am

Hi Andrew,

Thankyou for your remarks....I only have a small digital camera and to be truthful I am not a professional photographer but I am strating to enjoy taking pictures so I noted what you have said and I thankyou for the advice

Regards
Jeff
Jeff Challenor

Postby Andrew Soh » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Hey Jeff,

The pictures are quite o.k.....but to have them sharper, adjust the focus setting to focus to point and not square or focus throughout the screen.

Hope you understand what I am trying to say. I have the same problem too and discovered it could be adjusted better.

Take care...I love snakes. I used to have 2 pythons of 3 feet resting on my chest while I sleep through the night,
Andrew :angel:
'Discus, The Naked Truth'
'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
Author
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... p?ref=home
Andrew Soh
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Not Fish Photo Gallery