[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Discus Page Holland • View topic - Too Much filtration?

Too Much filtration?

Here you can ask questions about filters, filter materials, waterchanges, water parameters, water preparation, etc.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

Too Much filtration?

Postby Kevin Delude » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:06 am

Hello everyone! I have a 55 gallon tank setup with 2 Penguin Biowheel 350's set up, one on each end of the tank. At times I wonder if this is too much filtration as my discus seem to be swimming against currents all the time. Should I use only one of these and maybe set up either a smaller filter or a canister filter and attempt to reduce the flow or current rate? any help in this matter would be very appreciated.

Regards,
Kevin
Kevin Delude
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Fred Goodall » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi Kevin :welcome:

While the discus actions can be interpreted as "they like it"... it is not "normal" for "slow water fish" to "fight currents 24 / 7" ... so suggest trying a reduced flow rate... ( should be able to adjust such with simple "sponge" on intake of filter ) :wink: I personally like to have intakes no more than 1 inch / 2.53 cm "off the substrate" so that "bottom water gets to surface for "aeration" O2 / CO2 gas exchange.

Different "pore size" of sponge material will "adjust" flow rate for you :wink:
Regards,

fred :hat:

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kevin Delude » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:26 am

Thanks for the reply Fred. I definitely agree in that they should not be fighting current 24/7. Do you think that only one Penguin Biowheel 350 is enough filtration or maybe a Eheim Pro II canister filter? I was thinking if I filter one end of the tank the water would be slower moving on the other end... I do water changes anywhere from 10%-30% every 1-3 days and I do a 60% water change every 1-2 weeks...

Regards,
Kevin
Kevin Delude
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Fred Goodall » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi Kevin :welcome:

Sorry for the delay... :blush:

I would use either one... IF household is "smoker free"... if not... a "sealed" filter so that less smoke and gases enter the tank water. I like to make sure of "turn over" of water... bottom to side up to surface across surface to side / front ... down same to bottom... since tanks are "closed water systems" we humans with our "tools" must replace the work nature does in aeration of rivers / bodies of water. Soooooo......"intake 1/2 inch 1.25 cm off substrate and return across surface with slight downward angle". Since discus seem less stressed over months and years with little to no "surface splash" and "less than standard filter gallons per hour / liters per hour" for freshwater aquariums, I would personally stay in range of 1 to 2 "times tank water volume per hour" as the "filter rate" :wink: Think of filter as purely "biological filter" and we being the "dirt removers" and your fish will be living long, colorful lives. Suggest IF possible to make your water changes daily... even 10% daily works out better than a large weekly w/c.
Regards,

fred :hat:

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Water and Filtration