pH control using CO2 injection

Here you can ask questions about filters, filter materials, waterchanges, water parameters, water preparation, etc.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

pH control using CO2 injection

Postby Alvin Leung » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:28 am

Is it a viable or good idea to control the pH of a bare discus tank by CO2 injection with a electronic pH controller? My tap water pH is 7.6 and I would like to stabilize at 6.0.

What other methods would you use to stabilize pH if large volume of water (50% of a 180 gallon tank) is change daily?
Alvin Leung
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Ciprian Marcu » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi Alvin.

If you want to change a large amount of water daily is best to have a storage tank where you can prepare your water at the desired pH. Addition of acid would be practical in this case. But for raising discus a pH of 7.6 is not a problem. If your tap water is clean you can use that for water changes. Along with water conditioner if needed of course.
LET YOUR DREAM COME TRUE
Short movies
Ciprian Marcu
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Alvin Leung » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:24 pm

Thank you Cipian for your reply. Would it be OK if I am keeping wild caught Heckels with pH 7.6?
Alvin Leung
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Ciprian Marcu » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:45 am

You are welcome Alvin. :wink:

I can't say for sure if it's OK because I don't have experience with wild Heckels. But being wild caught it's better to try to match the conditions in the wild with pH around 4.5-5. Maybe other forum members can give you a more practical advice regarding pH for Heckels and their tolerance for different pH values.
LET YOUR DREAM COME TRUE
Short movies
Ciprian Marcu
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Fred Goodall » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi Alvin :welcome:

Like Ciprian said... "ok" for keeping them... Heckels particularly and wilds in general "show better colors and behaviors" when pH is more "in line" with "natural habitat". This is also remembering that "going up" in pH when "changing pH" is MUCH safer than "lowering / going down" in pH. Where ever the current pH is... only lower by point 4 at the MOST over 24 hours to reduce chance of "pH shock" on the fish. Heckels we get "on / in" the market seem to be able to tolerate a rather "wide" pH range compared to "30 or so years ago".... but the famous "Heckel sheen" is only seen when pH is 6.0 down to 5.5. "Breeding" is still to "reveal its secrets regarding Heckel X Heckel.
Regards,

fred :hat:

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Water and Filtration