[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Discus Page Holland • View topic - Philips aquarium water purifier

Philips aquarium water purifier

Here you can ask questions about filters, filter materials, waterchanges, water parameters, water preparation, etc.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

Re: Philips aquarium water purifier

Postby Maria Ashton » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks, we managed to transfer the cyano to our other tank, probably from the hose used for water changes. Treated it with Aerocol by Colombo, it does seem to work well but I am cautious about adding another med to the discus tank. I have yet to worm the discus, am holding off because they are all still eating and there doesn't seem to be any white poo anymore. I have also read that discus fin flicker and shake when they are courting and given that three pairs seem to be forming I am adopting a wait and see approach.
Aerocol works really well but I wish I knew what it is and how it works, if its an antibiotic I would be more cautious because of the filter.

I read some of your site btw, really helpful, esp the article on enemies one and two. I am quite amazed I didn't loose any fish but from what I have read I could still loose in the next month from the nitrite spike. We shall see.

I also read you have plecos in your display tank, I assume that works well? I have 3 or 4, not sure, 2 albinos about 1.5inches and one golden nugget of a similar size. Do you feed them veggies or just floor tablets? I have at least nine in my other tank which I think is too many but they all seem to be doing okay thus far.

Maria
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:27 am

Hi Maria,

That Colombo company, are they Dutch :question: :question: :question:

If they are eating well then maybe you could add some suitable meds to the food like Metro :question: :question: :question:

If they are flickering (I describe like it is if the Discus sucked on a socket and got a shock :eek: :blush: :biggrin: :eek: :blush: :biggrin:

TY for the comments on the site. It was put together a long time ago with help from some good friends. At a time when Discus Keeping was practically non existent in Ireland. I only keep and breed Super Red Ancistrus (Super Rot as the Germans call them). They love courgette's and also Discus granules as well as DBL pleco tabs. I'm going to try and expand their diet by offering different veg and some brineshrimp :wink: I have about 20 adults in a 100ltr tank and they are fine. The main thing is to have enough food, enough bogwood and enough hiding places like caves and keeping mind that the males are territorial.

HTH.

Best Regards...................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Maria Ashton » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:39 pm

hi Tony

Yes Colombo are Dutch but they have an English lang option on their website: http://www.aquadistri.com/nl/bedrijven/colombo/ or you can just type in www.colombo.nl
I dont find the meds section comes up properly if you change the language to English so I navigate to the product first then change the language. Anyway I used their meds for hole in the head and it worked really well, powerful stuff though. I think I would recommend the phasing approach rather than all at once and lights off too. I have their worm medicine Dactyd, which I will use if needs be. There is an aquarium shop about 20 mins from me who sell Stendker and wilds, they recommended these medicines to me. They use them on their own fish.

I wouldn't mind knowing the name of the JBL cyanobacteria product your friend used if its not too much trouble, JBL is widely available here.

Re my fish its more of a shimmy rather than an electric shock shake :smile: To be honest they all seem really calm and quite happy now, the little one goes dark on and off but I think it is as you suggested - it is being bullied. Also two juveniles who paired off go dark but I think its competition to spawn as another fully grown pair have the prime spot. I am considering splitting the group up as there are 13 and its a 450L tank, as the younger ones grow it will probably be too crowded.

Here is a link to one of the videos of my fish on Youtube, since then have added more plants and wood, and the babies have grown some. Re the note its also present owners who didn't know what they were doing...
http://www.youtube.com/user/mfahmy1#p/a/u/2/MRWcttzAwyU

Maria
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:08 am

Hi Maria,

Sorry on the delayed response.

The product I referred to is not a JBL product but eSHa and it's called..............Protalon . My Mate raves about it so it's worth a try in my book :wink:

Nice set up and best of luck with it. My only concern at this point is the two smaller Discus that appear to have their stress bars constantly displayed. This could pose problems in the long term so I would keep an eye on them......JMO.

Best Regards................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Maria Ashton » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi Tony

Since you last wrote and I have watched them, they do shake as though they have had an electric shock, there is lots of white poo and my ehiem 3 pro XL is hardly working... I want to get on and worm the fish but worried with the filter not working properly. Going to get an additional internal filter tomorrow and then worm. I did use the pumpkin seed powder in their food as was suggested on here and that did seem to work but I dont think it was enough.

There are three little ones who show their stress bars from time to time, the dark fellow or stress head goes really dark sometimes and isnt feeding now, it comes out with the others to feed but doesnt actually do anything. I have tried feeding across the length of the tank and feeding the larger ones larger chunks and waiting with the smaller pieces of BH so it stands a chance but nothing is working. I am not sure what to do with it, isolate it or let it be and hope worming helps. When I got the fish five of them were the same size, since I have had them three haven't grown very much and one of those the dark fellow has barely grown at all. The two baby discus were smaller and are now much larger than the one which gets very stressed.

I know so much of the key to success with these fish is the water but despite frequent water changes I am getting nowhere, constant fire fighting and I dont know what to do. I think one of the angel fish is turning into a bully despite being the size of a 2 euro coin, the rams are breeding and causing a riot and I wonder if I should remove the plecos too.

Maria
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi Maria,

Can you give me more info on the eheim please :question: :question: If it is slow then maybe it is blocked or maybe there is a blockage somewhere :question: :question:

Sometimes smaller fish will show their stress bars 24/7 when they are in a tank with larger fish. This is the fear factor and needs to be monitored to ensure they are eating and pooing well :wink: :wink:

Water quality is the key...........so keep doing what your doing. As the song says..............You've come a long way baby. Don't be too concerned that you are getting no-where. If the rams are spawning then the water is right. It might be a case that the two smallies that are stressed might be runts but don't worry about that too much for now.

It sounds like you got a good mix of fish so don't panic just yet :wink:

Best Regards...............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Maria Ashton » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi Tony

It is this one http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index ... 37479_ehen but without the digital temp part, must be an older model but its the XL pro3, unfortunately it doesn't have the indicator or display showing the output. At the moment only one tube is taking water from the tank - the other has no water movement and the output is very weak. I guess you are right and it most probably does have a blockage somewhere but not sure where to start, last time we took it all out and to bits we completely knocked the bio filter out and had a nightmare for ten days. I am guessing I should not touch the media or should I check it?

Thanks in advance
Maria
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi Maria,

K - where to start when cleaning an external.

Don't take this as gospel but read, think and ask any questions you might have.

Unplugged filter, switch off water at filter if you can, if not try and clip both hoses (supply and feed) to prevent leakage. Drain off a bucket of tank water and bring to the bath tub :wink: or sink :wink: Unclip the cover of the filter and take out the baskets. Rinse all the media out in the bucket of water that you drained from the tank including sponges and media. Do not at any stage rinse under tap water :wink: Plug the filter back in while disconnected to check that the impeller is working ok (don't leave it on for too long) Once the media is clean-ish put back into the filter, once all the filter media is replaced into the filter top the filter up with more tank water. Reconnect the filter head, unclamp the pipes and plug her back in.

You might have some airlocks but it is easy to work these out :wink:

If the flow rate does not improve then we will have to start trouble shooting :read: :read: :read:

HTH.

Best Regards...................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Water and Filtration