[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Discus Page Holland • View topic - Philips aquarium water purifier

Philips aquarium water purifier

Here you can ask questions about filters, filter materials, waterchanges, water parameters, water preparation, etc.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

Philips aquarium water purifier

Postby Maria Ashton » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:35 am

Hello - does anyone have one of these and if so what do you think? Am considering one but it is expensive so I want to be sure its worth it. The product makes some pretty big claims, I am interested in it because apparently it is able to break down organic waste and nitrites very quickly.

Maria
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Philips aquarium water purifier

Postby Tony Vaughan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi Maria,

I had never heard of these until you mentioned it. I am a fan of Philips but I would like to see more scientific evidence to accept if it does what it says on the tin so to speak.

IMO hardware that claims to be the end of all our problems often comes up short.

I'll see what I can find out about this from my Dutchy Buddy's :wink:

Best Regards...............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Maria Ashton » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:27 am

Tony

Thanks, my local petstore guy has one in his tank and says its amazing but I wanted other opinions

Maria
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:59 am

K - I'll stick up a post to see if we can get some reviews on it. I'm not an expert on Ozone but lets see what we can find out :wink:

Best Regards..............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby George Duthie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:38 pm

I am also very interested in this product, but won’t the Ozone destroy the biological filter bacteria? As the water with the Ozone is passing through the filter?
George Duthie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi George,

I think it will.

There is some good info here

From reading this article it seems to say that yes Ozone can and will help if used correctly but if things should go wrong then I fear the outcome might be total wipeout.

Best Regards............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby George Duthie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi everyone I have found out more info on this form Practical Fishkeeping forum here in the UK, an employee from Phillips answered this question and I quote:
“If I was to use this as an addition to my existing filtration during an extended holiday would the ozone levels do any harm to the bacteria in the filter?”
The answer was:
“Hi ,

No problem at all. The ozone unit is not and should never be considered a substitute for the "standard" mechanical and bacterial filtration. It is a big support and a surplus on your filter system, but it cannot replace the bacteria needed for your ecosystem's balance.

At this dosage, the ozone does not measurably dissolve in the water. It reacts only in and very near the bubble column. Your bacteria in the filter, rocks, etc will not be affected”

So the answer to my question is, NO it doesn’t affect the filter bacteria :smile: :smile: :smile:
George Duthie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi George,

Thanks for the info.

The info they provide is a little bit contradictory to me.

The response states, "should never be considered a substitute for the "standard" mechanical and bacterial filtration"

The product specs state, "Minimal maintenance: water needs to be changed only 2 times a year"

We all know that without regular water changes to dilute the nitrate cycle "could" cause an ammonia spike all things considered how will the ever fluctuating ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate work with or against the Ozone :question: :question:

Also, I would like to learn a little more about the bubble column :ohwell: what if the only filtration is an internal one where the flow is below the surface and little or no surface agitation is present :question: or even an external filter where air is not present :question:

To be honest I am grateful of the Philips staff to make comment but I would like more info and a bit more research for paying for such an item.

Don't get me wrong. If I had one to try on an Altum q-tine tank then I feel it might have some benefits. Lets see what the future holds with this product :wink:

Best Regards..................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby George Duthie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:42 am

Hi Tony,
Totally agree its seems VERY contradictory, but that could just be the advertisement blab, I did go to the Philips web site and it’s just the same ad blab I have decided to put this idea on hold till someone so ware proves this one way or the other, the old saying goes “if it looks too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true”

It’s a shame, as I am going on holiday to the Far East next year and thought this would give my sister a break from doing water changes, oh well no pot of gold at the end of that rainbow :jester: :jester: :jester:
George Duthie

Postby George Duthie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:26 am

Here is the tread from the Practical Fishkeeping web site here in the UK:
http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk ... hp?t=69139

If I decide to buy one I will keep you up-to-date on what I think!
George Duthie

Postby Maria Ashton » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi Both, I am still very tempted by this product but not for the idea of reducing water changes - I would not dream of only doing two water changes a year. The thing that interests me is the products ability to quickly convert decaying organic matter and its claims to help against viruses - not sure how they know the latter but in any event I give my discus beef heart mix and it makes a real mess in the tank - both the shop and home made versions. At the moment BH is the one thing my fish will eat, anything else is usually ignored for an hour or more. I do give granules and sometimes bits of salmon or white fish but BH is their firm favourite.

Maria
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Maria Ashton » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:13 pm

In the UK Plymouth Discus sell a product which does the same thing: http://wormerplus.co.uk/retail_shop/ind ... egoryID=12 it seems to have positive ratings but I wasnt able to read individual reviews.

George if you are in NL marktplaats has some for considerably less than the RRP

Maria
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi Maria,

The Fluke Solve that I mentioned has been designed with Mark Evenden of Devotedly Discus and it has been developed by a fish vet.

I too am tempted in getting one, not for the long term use but more like the use and benefits in a q-tine tank. I will see if they can be got cheaper in Holland when I visit considering Philips are a Dutch company.

Best Regards.............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Maria Ashton » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:33 am

Hi Tony

I compared prices on eBay UK and Marktplaats out here and there is not a lot in it, Marktplaats does have some for about 25% less than the RRP. I just have a lot of residue from the beef heart mix and some cyanobacteria which keeps rearing its ugly head.

http://www.marktplaats.nl/
http://kopen.marktplaats.nl/dieren-en-t ... /c396.html

Maria
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi Maria,

Yeah, I hear that Marktplaats is more popular in Holland than ebay.

If you continue to have a problem with cyanobacteria and you want shot of it let me know. I know a mate that has very sucessfully treated it in the past but I can't recall what he used (I'm almost sure it was a JBL product).

Best Regards.................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Water and Filtration