My new tank pH shot up today

Here you can ask questions about filters, filter materials, waterchanges, water parameters, water preparation, etc.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

My new tank pH shot up today

Postby Paul Tordoff » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi all, im currently preparing a new tank for discus, this weekend i introduced a very large piece of bogwood, some inert white sand, and about 8 new plants, my pH has gone from a steady 6.8 to 7.6 in the last 24 hours.

Even though ive used mainly RO i have also used some treated tap, water is currently quite hard, gH is 16`d, kH 6`d

Could any of the above forced the pH to rise?

cheers
First i had 3 in 1 tank, then 8 in two tanks, now 14 in two tanks, where else can i put a tank.?? I`m running out of rooms.!!
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Re: My new tank pH shot up today

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:58 am

What's your normal tap water PH usually read at on it's own?...I don't know how much help you're going to get these days from this site...Since i've been away and come back a few years later, this site looks like the Mary Celeste, everyone nearly has jumped board and the place is deserted!...Looks like poor old Tony is sailing this ship all on his own!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Paul Tordoff » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:09 am

Well my RO pH is 6.8, havent tested tap water, theres not much tapwater in there anyway, the tank has been at 6.8 for over a week but since i added bogwood and plants it went up very quickly.
First i had 3 in 1 tank, then 8 in two tanks, now 14 in two tanks, where else can i put a tank.?? I`m running out of rooms.!!
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:25 pm

You say that the sand is inert?...Assuming that the bogwood is the good old fashioned every day bogwood that the shops sell then i would count that out if has had a good scrub down...Where was the sand from, a Fish shop or somewhere else?...The bests and i have found that i always use is good old kiln dried builders sand that is used for brushing in between block paving work on drives etc, nice colour with different colour specks in and doesn't affect the water quality at all...Sorry i can't be of much more help.
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Paul Tordoff » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Its cool thanks for your tips, i bought sand from my LFS and asked specifically if it was inert, they said yes, no reason to doubt but you never know, im going to add some seachem discus buffer just to encourage it down slowly.
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:07 pm

That's a pain that you will have to lower your PH by chemicals...Hopefully it will sort itself naturally without the need for you to be spending too much extra time and money!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:28 am

Sorry Guys,

I just noticed this post :cry: :cry: :cry:

this site looks like the Mary Celeste, everyone nearly has jumped board and the place is deserted!...Looks like poor old Tony is sailing this ship all on his own!

Unfortunately things slid into deep water when Fred decided to leave us. Then along came social media sites and killed it off even more. Walter and I had a conversation and he wanted to close the site as a forum and just leave DPH as a reference site :oh: :oh: :oh:
I was not a fan of this because I personally owe more to DPH than "IT" owes me :wink: Therefore don't feel sorry for me, it is not a cross to bear. I, like you guys love to chat to people about discus and all related things fishy. If I can help along the way then it's a bonus, if I can learn then it is a double bonus. If anyone wants an opinion I always have one to give LOL :angel: :roll: :angel: :roll: :angel: :roll:

Paul, can you advise how much tap water you added to the tank please :question: :?: :question: :?: When I buy sand I prefer to buy sand for children's play pit. Take it from me that the safety cert is more stringent for kids than it will ever be for fish :wink: The best you can hope for when buying sand is a neutral ph.

I would advise not using buffers :nono: :nono: :nono: because the WORSE thing for Discus IMO is ph bouncing. Yes they like slightly soft water with a lower ph but depending where you get them from they might be happy at a ph slightly higher than neutral. I would leave it settle for a while and see how things pan out.

HTH :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:

Best Regards...............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul Tordoff » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi Tony, when i started to fill the tank i filled it to 20% and treated it with tap safe until it read zero chlorine, i filled the rest with pure ro, i have also done 5 further 200 ltr water changes since then, for future reference i have just picked up a 200ltr water butt and will HEAT-AERATE-REMINERALISE & STAND my ro water before it goes into the tank, i would like to get into a water change routine and set the pH at a rock solid 6.5-6.8 before i even think of putting a discus in there.

I think prepariing my ro properley and leaving to stand will lower the pH and make it more steady within the aquarium. Its started to come down now. :-)
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:02 pm

K - if you use pure RO as a test it will give you a certain ph - heat the same water it will give you a different ms.................because the more you heat molecules the more they vibrate and the more they vibrate the more ms your water will be. Now I'm not an expert in water but IMO the higher the ms the higher the ph...............generally speaking.

IMO a rock solid ph is not rock solid if you forgive me for a minute, what I'm trying to say is add the fish when you think the tank is ready and let the fish tell you if they are not happy, if they are not then make shapes to move.

Yes, preparing your water correctly and leaving it to stand will lower your ph. BUT, it will bounce back up once you heat it. So......be conscious of these variables and treat accordingly is my advice :wink:

I have wild heckels in tap water (albeit Irish tap water) but I'm trying to get you to see the principles. If you provide good clean water that is generally ok for discus then don't worry too much about ph meters or inert sand or any of the variables. e.g. I presume you use a ph meter..........if so when was it last calibrated :question: :?: :question: :?: ............why use re-mineralising chemicals when all they do is bounce parameters. If your local water is hard then take that consideration into account when doing water changes (medium hard area's = 70% RO - 30% treated tap..........hard area's 90% RO - 10% tap etc etc)

I'm NOT in anyway having a pop................just trying to present the bigger picture. Hudson will even tell you............a wild fish is stuck in a Igarape in dry season, ph is low, lots of dead plant matter then along comes the rainy season in a short space of time and the water level doubles or triples...........over thea short space of time the water is diluted and all parameters change.............some drastically, rain brings rain water with different parameters again. If this is the case for sensitive wilds then domestics should be less fussy. If so then why not just provide a happy medium :question: :?: :question:

JMO.

Best Regards................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul Tordoff » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:06 am

Your absolutely right Tony, i am being over finnicky, i was liek this last time, i just find having a sense of urgency regarding water quality is a plus if im going to keep discus again.

But i hear what your saying.... :-)
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:14 am

I havn't even got a clue what my water parameters are, so i think you might be worrying too much over something you really shouldn't be!...All i've ever tested is my PH and water Temperature...My water Temp is 84.5 and my PH is 6.5, i don't mess around with the water at all...I do my water changes straight out of the tap, swish it around with my hand in the bucket until the temperature feels ok and tip it in the tank, that's it apart from adding dechlorinator!...My Fish are healthy and eating like little pigs so i'm not going to turn into a water expert anytime soon if what i'm doing works, why upset the apple cart?!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:58 am

Indeed Mark,

I don't use RO for my heckels. Just treated tap water, temp is normally 28c no clue on the ph or any other parameters. If something is wrong the fish tell me :wink:

I know how lucky I am to have decent water straight from the tap.

Too often we have a bit of a habit of over complicating things :thumbsup:

HITH.

Best Regards...............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul Tordoff » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:48 pm

lol yeah thats sounds about right, trouble with my water here is its like concrete :-)
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Maria Ashton » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Paul - unless you are planning on keeping wilds most discus can tolerate slightly hard water, in fact they can tolerate a lot. Have a look at this page from the Stendker site, its very helpful
http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/5 ... dex,0.html

Hope that helps
Maria
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks Maria :thumbsup: That's page is new to me.

I've been fortunate enough to have been in one of Stendker's sheds and some people say I want to see the seven wonders of the world before I die...........etc etc.

IMO for any discus lover they should try to see Stendker's place before they die. It has to be seen to be believed :eek: :eek: :eek: . Their belief is.....simplicity = reliability.

The numbers are just mind boggling...............they use 800kg of beefheart PER WEEK :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

Best Regards...........Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Water and Filtration