Hi all,im back after a 4 year break

This is the place to introduce yourself

Moderator: DPH Moderators

Hi all,im back after a 4 year break

Postby Paul Tordoff » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Hello everyone, im back after a 4 year break, this is my old tank that i ran for 3 years:-

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...8041539548589#

This time i was going to go for a smaller-simpler setup with maybe a trigon 350 and keep the fish to a minimum to help minimise the WC volumes but as always i thought i would just end up wanting a bigger tank again, as you do.

So im going for a large tank, minimum of 500 ltrs and currently on the lookout

My last tank had a 3078 ehiem pro, fluval internal and a HUGE UV and never had any problems in 3 years of keeping it, regular water changes though with a direct filling RO system.

This time i would like to go fully automated but with a 110 ltr sump and auto RO/HMA system and a manual drain pump system that i will operate to empty the water and then the RO/HMA will automatically re-fill it and then auto stop when back up to level. Everything required would be obviously kept in the sump setup.

Nothing in the tank but sand, plants, bogwood and fish, i`ll keep you all posted as i begin and progress through the build process.. ideas & suggestions welcome.

Added note, got my eye on this one as its only 10 miles from me http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170719936801? ... 1438.l2649

And this one which isnt local http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220882882594? ... 1438.l2649
First i had 3 in 1 tank, then 8 in two tanks, now 14 in two tanks, where else can i put a tank.?? I`m running out of rooms.!!
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Hi all,im back after a 4 year break

Postby Tony Vaughan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi Paul :welcome:

Welcome back, hope your plans go well and be sure to keep us updated on the progress. If you think we can help just ask :wink:

Best Regards.................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul Tordoff » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:17 am

***Update***

Just bought this tank

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2208875291...84.m1439.l2649

Already got a grow out tank on the way with some cardinals, zebra danio`s, corys, gibbiceps, pim pictus and a petricola.

Next post will be setting up the plumbing on the new tank when it arrives..
First i had 3 in 1 tank, then 8 in two tanks, now 14 in two tanks, where else can i put a tank.?? I`m running out of rooms.!!
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Maria Ashton » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:37 pm

the link doesnt show up anymore as you have bought it but good luck with it all and we look forward to seeing pictures

Maria
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Morten Garathun-Hansen » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:42 am

Welcome back Paul :thumbsup:

Regards
Morten :bwian:
Morten Garathun-Hansen

Postby Paul Tordoff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi, i cant find any website for LAC LTD, London Aquarium Centre so im assuming they went bust.

The model number is LAC R229

Its 646 litres, 180cm x 60cm x 62cm visible glass, alreasy has 3 holes drilled on the back at the top ready for my plumbing.
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Paul Tordoff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:38 pm

Can i ask opinions on external heaters too please, namely this one:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190597695715? ... 1438.l2649

Are they effective? thanks
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Paul Tordoff » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:48 am

Well it was a bit minging, greasy and dusty so ive spent a couple of days cleaning it out and trying to suss out what to do with the 3 x 36mm holes on the back.

I used std 32mm tank connectors, the pickup and spraybar are tight push-fit & glued in place using `aquamate` adhesive for a bit of extra strength. Ive used a short piece of std 22mm tubing to push into each end of the filter pipes which will be secured with jubilee clips and they are push fit and glued into the rear of the tank connectors.

Around the top edge of the tank is a plastic frame which sticks out too much for me to use the filters original pipe fittings and i didnt want to hacksaw bits out of the frame.

The cabinet was pants too, ive had to re-assemble certain bits with new fittings as it wasnt assembled correctly and i think the ebay seller knew this as they refunded me £50 for new fittings. Basically the doors didnt line up and close as the uprights werent in the right place.

Whats next? I have some small trigen 300 lph powerheads with combined air pumps that i will use at the bottom of each end of the tank to keep a bit of circulation going at the bottom of the tank.

Just purchased 2 x 300w fluval digital heaters. Cheers
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:05 am

Awesome looking tank Dude :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and thanks for the pics. Please be sure to keep us updated on the progress and let us know if we can do anything to help.

Best Regards................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tony Vaughan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:14 am

Sorry, forgot to answer the question about the external heater. To be honest this heater style is a new one on me. I like the concept but have not heard others experience on the pro's and con's of them. I would like to find out a little more on the specs..............e.g. the temp transfer will greatly vary with different flow rates etc etc :roll: :roll: :roll:

Would love to hear if you have bought it and what your thoughts are on it :wink:

Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul Tordoff » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Filled her up with tap water to test, filter running & No leaks, YET.!!

Im going to support the bottom of the intake pipe with a clamp/sucker pad, the spray bar works perfectly and i can adjust the angle too.
I also supported the pipes at the rear with pipe clamps screwed into the cabinet, just to take the weight of the pipes.
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Paul Tordoff » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:05 pm

I also wanted to run another idea to you guys, i want to use a small external filter to filter and skim the water surface, pickup entry right at the top of the tank with the pickup strainer slightly out of the water above the surface so it keeps the surface clean from oils and bits&bobs, does that make sense?

Something small and slow like a fluval 105 perhaps, set to slow, i realise it might have a slight intake of air & gurgle maybe too but im not too bothered about that as that will help to airate the water.

Does anyone have something like this? is there another way around it? Cheers
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:32 pm

IMO you do not need to add more filtration to keep the surface free of slicks or debris. You can adjust the spray bar for the exit water to come out of the pipe at roughly 50 degree angle just enough to drop back into the tank water (if that makes sense). This will ensure that no slick builds up and that the water column is well oxygenated.

HTH.

Best Regards....................Tony
p.s. I looked at the ad on ebay and the delivery company's rates that are quoted seem very reasonable :wink:
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul Tordoff » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Cheers for that, will try it, i ended paying £60 in the end, another courier does a `back run` service, i just had to wait till he had another delivery down that way.

Bargain....

New toys delivered today, 2 x 300W fluval digital heaters, a tetratec aps400 dual air pump, 2 x bendable sponge air curtain bars, 30kgs of black moonlight substrate, basically its black with 10% blue bits.

Ive decided to build a raised rockery across most of the back of the tank where i`ll be using this substrate with plants, the front of the tank will be mostly white silica sand and some other ornaments, bog wood, small tufty plants etc.
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:24 pm

All sounds great Paul :thumbsup:

Please keep us updated and be sure to show us more pics once completed :wink:

Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Next