Ozone Processor ??

Technical things that don't fit in the other 2 topics.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

Ozone Processor ??

Postby Ben Moore » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:57 am

Hi peoples!

I have heard about these lately and i would like to know more about them.

Does anyone use an Ozone Processor?

or can anyone tell me more info about them?

Would they be could in a discus tank?

I have done a google search and spent a long time trying to find out about them! but nonthing that teaches me!

All i know is it turns o2 into o3.

Thanks in Advance,
Ben Moore

Postby Simon Brown » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:40 am

Hi ben

ozone is a normal molecule of free o2 that has two o2 atoms, the ozone generator ( which is like a large air pump) bonds a third o2 atom to it making three.
This make the the o2 molecule unstable and incline to passing the extra o2 atom over, which makes it a powerful oxidiser of organic material.

It simply burns organics up on contact, the problem with it, is it is also harmful to your fish so it is best done in a sump away from the tank, so the water can be run through carbon to remove any traces of ozone before it reaches the tank.

Ozone is a favorite of the marine aquarists how use in conjunction with a protein skimmer in a sump.

Simon Brown

Postby Alain Destexhe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:39 pm

Hi ben,

If you don't you a redox electrode to stear the redox potential, it is very dangerous to use, as active ozone will damage the gills and the skin of the fish.
Alain Destexhe

Postby Fred Goodall » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:54 am

Hi Ben :welcome:

For the reasons covered... Ozone is usually not suggestied in a freshwater setup... but you take the precautions noted and also.... make sure to vent the O3 away from your upstairs rooms... it could be safe.... but usually... ( due to the lack of ability of fresh water to maintain the fine, massive numbers of air bubbles in a foam fractionator [ protein skimmer ] the O3 tends NOT to get fully removed before contacting the fish ). All this is why "UV" is more commonly used in freshwater setups than O3.

fred :hat:

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall

Return to Other Technical Questions