Basement fish room and humidity

Technical things that don't fit in the other 2 topics.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

Basement fish room and humidity

Postby Eric Gregerson » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:57 pm

I am in the process of desigining a fish room in my basement. I will need to construct the walls and all the rest that goes with that. I am concerned with humidity. Are there building materials that I can use for teh walls in the fishroom that will hold the humidity in and not let it into the rest of the house. Maybe I am thinking about this incorrectly but I am thinking if I can build the room out of materials that will not be damaged by humidity and keep the humidity in the fish room out of the house I wont have a mold problem?
Thanks
Eric
Eric Gregerson
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tom Fowler » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:06 pm

IMO the room needs to breath so some form of extraction is needed
Sharing my experience with you
Tom Fowler
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dougall Stewart » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:24 pm

Yes you could 'tank' your walls. In effect you would have sauna envrionement so will need means of controlling environment humidity, it can be done and is commonplace.
All the best
Dougall Stewart
Dougall Stewart
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dougall Stewart » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:25 pm

Should have said 'surfaces' as opposed walls.
All the best
Dougall Stewart
Dougall Stewart
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dougall Stewart » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:26 pm

sorry lol - also shoulds have said many basements have this done during renovation processes or even new construction.
All the best
Dougall Stewart
Dougall Stewart
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Fred Goodall » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:35 am

Hi Eric :welcome:

Like Dougall said... you can setup a fishroom like the "water vapor proof" basements of the East coast... but would need a dehumidifer or two as the air would be saturated and you would indeed have a sauna of a fishroom. But once planned out... you would preclude any mold problems for the rest of your house. I am sure Dougall would detail materials and methods in an e mail... and then you / we could work out similar USA products for your use here.
Regards,

fred :hat:

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Eric Gregerson » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:07 am

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the info. That would be great if Dougall has any details I would love to hear them. I am in the planing stages and want to know all my options. I have heard of using greenback sheetrock for walls in humid locations, but as of yet I have not looked into it further. I would only be using a portion of my basement for the fishroom. I am considering making it about 200 sq feet and if I could keep the humidity caused by the fishroom from entering the rest of the house and run a dehumidifire I would like to do that.
Thanks
Eric
Eric Gregerson
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Dougall Stewart » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Hi Eric

'Tanking' is just that - almost in effect creating an internal waterproof room. A GOOD means of dehumidification is a must.

Dont want to put you off but download this to get a basic understanding of the way it is usually done when converting or new build http://www.basement-living.co.uk/downlo ... llings.pdf

If your basement is already built correclt much of the work is already done.

Most popular from my time on sited where impregnated boards and bitumen based materials with the latter being the cheaper. Feel free to pm me or e-mail me.
All the best
Dougall Stewart
Dougall Stewart
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Other Technical Questions