How long can Beef heart survive?

Here you can post everything about food, what should you feed your discus, what
should you avoid, how to make your own food mix, etc.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

How long can Beef heart survive?

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 am

I bought some BH off ebay in a 500g slab and he posted it on monday...It finally arrived on thursday where it was put straight in the freezer.
It was fresh and not meant to be sent frozen so what i want to know is, is it still safe to use on my fish?
The BH was very sweet smelling when it arrived and was cold to the touch and well wrapped.
Does it need throwing or safe to use?...I only ask because i fed only the once from it and now one of my fish isn't eating like it did, is this related or just a coincidence?
Cheers!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Re: How long can Beef heart survive?

Postby Maria Ashton » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:01 pm

is it BH or a BH mix? I give mine it semi frozen but I chop it up into very small pieces which quickly defrost in the water. If it was cold when it arrived I would imagine its safe - I have read that the fish wont eat it if its off. A lot of people advise feeding BH thawed and not frozen but I find it quickly defrosts in a discus tank.

If its just pure beef heart I would defrost or partially defrost it before feeding, but from what I have seen its not so easy for discus to eat pure beef heart, you can try mincing it.
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:33 pm

Sometimes Discus can reject a new food just because the difference in taste.

Humans are advised to avoid food that is frozen, defrosted and refrozen due to salmonella. I'm not sure if Discus can be infected with this bacteria but I would err on the side of caution and watch closely when feeding. If there are any adverse reactions then I would bin it or if the fish don't poo normally in the 48hours after feeding this food then I would also bin it.

It begs the question why don't you make it yourself :?: :question: :?: :question:

Best Regards...................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:11 pm

I tried to make it myself once and for all the extra expense buying loads of different ingrediants to mix in with it and preparing it, i never bothered again. My time is spent doing WT's which i like doing, i can't be bothered to spend my time trying to be Delia Smith, i'd rather buy it from someone who has done it already!
@Maria, the BH was mixed and ready to be used at once, i bought it all ready to go, it wasn't meant to be frozen when it arrived, i was just wondering if it was safe for me to use because it had been in the post for 3 days before being put in the freezer by me.
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:04 pm

May I ask where you bought it from :question: :?: :question: :?:

Personally I don't think it is a good idea to re-freeze defrosted food for the same reason that it is not safe for a human to use.

Best Regards..................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:47 am

No Tony, I don't think it had been frozen to start with, it was a slab of fresh mixed BH, i got it from Discusmodo on ebay, they sell fish etc as well.
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Maria Ashton » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:14 am

Mark - the Delia comment made me laugh. As one who loves cooking I went to great lengths to prepare various BH mixes for my fish and they hated all of them, in addition the water quality would deteriorate much quicker after I added my food to the water versus the shop versions.

Can you get some small live earth worms or as Tony often suggests some live brine shrimp? Food that moves often tempts these fish more.
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Mark :welcome:

If it was made fresh and sent well packaged then I would think it is ok to freeze.

I asked about the supplier as I know a few of them although not personally.

@Maria, Discus are picky eaters and it can take a but of stubbornness (on the owner's part) to get them to take to a new food. For anyone thinking of making their own mix I would recommend this article definitely worth the read :wink:

HTH.

Best Regards...................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Food and Nutrition