stress bars

For all your General Discus questions

Moderator: DPH Moderators

stress bars

Postby Maria Ashton » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:46 pm

So its taken me about four weeks to get things with my tanks back to normal.... my discus havent been too happy - hiding and only coming out for food. However with the last water change things seemed to have improved. I did 75% on Saturday then another 60% on Tuesday and they have all been out and about... but quite a few of them are fighting and most have their stress bars showing, the juveniles especially but even some of the adults to a degree. Any thoughts, should I be worried?
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Re: stress bars

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi Maria :welcome:

If they improve when you do a water change then water is the problem IMO. You could tempt them with live foods while keeping on top of the water changes and before you know it the water should be better and so should the fish.

I judged in Stockholm in 2009 and an Italian lad with a cobalt blue was annoyed when his (nice) fish scored so low. He demanded a meeting with the head judge.........the head judge was unavailable so I took it upon meself to chat to him even though he spoke little English and my Italian was limited to say the least. In the end we had it out (through a lovely lady called Gabby who spoke very good Italian and managed to work out what the problem was). He thought stress bars were stripes (which is why he entered the Cobalt in the Striped category) until we explained that they are stress bars and they are there for a reason..................................he did bring his fish to the show in a suitcase :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:

Best Regards..............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:47 am

Ha ha ha Tony, what a funny story!
I bet he felt a bit foolish afterwards, if he hadn't a clue about a simple thing like that, it's a wonder he was able to keep Discus anyway!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:22 am

Funny as it may be it could also be a little information lost in translation (this is how I would like to see things) :wink:

Best Regards.......................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Maria Ashton » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:22 pm

when I first got these fish I thought my juveniles had stripes, it was on here through you that I found they are stress bars. I will do another large WC tomorrow, its been a tough few days with the kids sick and not sleeping and then I was out till 2am in the Dam but time to give the fish some attention again.
Maria Ashton
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tony Vaughan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:28 am

Most juvvies will show stress bars at all times.............compare it to puberty in humans.

Hope the children are on the mend now and as for your ventures to the "Dam" until 2am then all I can say is that I'm jealous LOL :thumbsup:

Best Regards..................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Discus Questions