Methylene blue dose for egg protection

here you can put up all your questions, problems, hints and tips about breeding discusfish.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

Postby Fred Goodall » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:10 am

Regards,

fred :hat:

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kyaw Aung » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:50 am

HI!!
Can i put MB before parents spawn eggs because i don't want to use wire mesh. One of my successful pair , they hate using wire mesh. If i cover with the wire mesh after they spawned and take out after hatching, they ate the fries. So wha should i do :question:
Please suggest
Regards
Kyaw
Kyaw Aung
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Fred Goodall » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:57 am

Hi Kyaw :welcome:

The MB is to protect the eggs from bacteria and fungus.

The cage is to protect the eggs from the parents.

MB should be put in AFTER male fertilizes the eggs.

The cage... maybe make the cage smaller size... just enough size to keep parent mouths off the eggs... but small emough so parents can "fan" the eggs. That way maybe the parents will learn they are still part of the eggs and the eggs are part of the parents.
Regards,

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Alex Galea » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:51 pm

HI Andrew,

Can you refresh my mind on how to do the stock solution?

Thanks
Alex Galea
Supporter
Supporter

Remove MB?

Postby Helene Lagueux » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Helene Lagueux
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Fred Goodall » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:40 am

Hi Helene :welcome:

I replied to your other post... no harm... but commonly removed via Carbon / Charcoal around 50 hours mark from eggs being laid.
Regards,

Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bhargav Guhagarkar » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:39 am

Hi,

Can there be a detrimental effect of overdosing MB? Any experiences?

My case:
I have a Super eruption pair that never spawns in a breeding tank (18x18x18), even after 4-5 weeks of isolation, but does so immediately after returning to the community tank. Hence, for this pair i have gone for raising the eggs/fry seperately.
Also, I could only buy a MB stock solution (not knowing the mg/litre ratio) from a pharma trader & have to rely on the visibility test to guage the right amount.

The last spawn: No fungus until around the 48th hour. Eggs getting dark.. During this process, I did gradually add RO water as my tap water is around 400 TDS..so as to make the egg shells a little easier to break through..
Still, between the 48 & 60th hour saw the following
A) Most of the dark eggs turning white
B) Around 10 wriglers with their tails out trying to break out. Though, they too turned white, including the sorry tails.

The current spawn
Knowing that the pair is fertile am adopting the same method of seperately rearing the eggs & hopefully frys..
As i thought that i may have used less of MB in my early try, i have gone by method suggested on this thread. Though, as visibility is a relative method, i hope i have not overdosed MB.

Hence i have 2 questions..

1. Relevant to this thread: Can there be an overdose of MB &
2. Possibly for another thread: The 10 wriglers that did not make it - Was is because of the MB or the water parameters (hardness, kH,gH etc), they could not get out of the shell & fungus took on later..

Sorry for this long essay..

thanks,
Bhargav
Bhargav Guhagarkar

Postby Fred Goodall » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:39 pm

HI Bhargav :welcome:

Fairly hard to overdose MB when using visibility method and one is worried / paying attention to "too dark all of a sudden" ( meaning one has "dumped in" ) and THEN paid attention to darkness of water.

Usual cause of white is fungal infection and "death" of egg / embryo / fry. Next cause is bacterial infection. Then can be "water parameters". While YOU know your water.... we do not... so it is hard to make intelligent suggestions to you at this time. If you could give us your water parameters ( just make a new thread when you first come to this "subforum" ) we can better help you.

While TDS in "known waters" can have "correlation" to specific ions that affect "hatchout"... TDS is not "universal" when comes to the ionic content of given water source.
Regards,

Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bhargav Guhagarkar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi Fred, :smile:

I agree, i should have given more details on the water parameters. I shall do so in a seperate thread that I will create shortly.

With regards to MB, i have gone with the visibility test & I am very comfortable that I have administered the right dosage. I also realized that one cannot go too wrong with it.

thanks,
Bhargav
Bhargav Guhagarkar

Previous

Return to Breeding Discusfish and Raising Fry