food for fry

here you can put up all your questions, problems, hints and tips about breeding discusfish.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

food for fry

Postby Kevin Delude » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:51 pm

After a period of time when fry feed off their parents what should I feed them? I have no access to newly born brine shrimp.

thank you,
Kevin
Kevin Delude
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Kaj Persson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:20 pm

I sweden u can buy froozen newly born brine shrimps an other alternativ are decapsulated artemia easy to handle.
I also use froozen cyclops and dafnia.
Kaj Persson
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi Kevin :welcome:

Can you let me know what you mean by having no access to live brinehrimp ??? The US has a huge number of people who produce high quality brineshrimp eggs for sale....................if you need any links then let me know :wink:

They are easy to produce and the benefit far out ways the problems when it comes to hatching and feeding to newly hatched fry. It is my opinion that when feeding hungry free swimming fry the movement of the BBS attracts the fry to the shrimp, which entices them to have their first feed of shrimp instead of the parents flesh.

What I do for all cichlids is feed live BBS for the first 3 days and then feed supplements.............again these can be got in the US and work very well.

Keep us posted if you need anymore help :wink:

Best Regards....................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kevin Delude » Wed May 05, 2010 10:50 am

Kaj and Tony,
Thanks so much for the replies. Seems like the discus ate the fry so hoping to try again soon..
Kevin Delude
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Breeding Discusfish and Raising Fry