Baby Discus not eating

here you can put up all your questions, problems, hints and tips about breeding discusfish.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

Baby Discus not eating

Postby Kevin Delude » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:55 am

Hello everyone! I hope all is well with you. I have a pair of discus who had a batch of fry. I was able to save only two of them. They are now 2 months old. Everything was fine up until 4 days ago. They were eating very well, even eating from my hand. They were swimming to the front of the tank, curious to everything around them.
Now they don't eat much and are always hiding. They are in a 15 gallon tank ( 57 liters). I will try not to bore you with too many details, but want to give as much info as possible. They were in a smaller tank, 1 gallon container. I set up the 15 gallon with no cycling of it. I do daily water changes of at least 30-50%. I did test the paramaters and it did show traces of ammonia. So for three days I did 2 daily water changes and added some gravel from an established tank. Now ammonia and nitrite are 0 ppm. Nitrate is 10 ppm. I use a mixture of RO water and water from the established tank( I use this water because it allows me to do a water change without heating the RO water).
I've tried different foods to get them to eat. I was originally feeding them Ocean nutrition discus formula flake food and Freeze dried tubiflex worms. Now I am trying to no avail, live blackworms, miasis(spelling?), live baby brine shrimp (I think they ate some of these).
Has anyone had this problem before? What do I do?
Any help would be so appreciated.
Thank you,
Kevin
Kevin Delude
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Baby Discus not eating

Postby Morten Garathun-Hansen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi Kevin

Sorry for this late respons!!

First..why did only two survive from this batch of fry? How did you loose the others?

Is the pH below 7??

If your discus has been exposed to ammonia they may be "stunned" for a while. Keep up with a lot of water changes. Turn up the temperature to 32 deg. C may help also!!

Keep us updated!!

Morten :bwian:
Morten Garathun-Hansen

Postby Kevin Delude » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:15 am

Hi Morton,
Thank you for the response. Only two survived because the parents ate most of them while I was at work. When I returned there were only a few left. I took the babies when they were only 5 days old. And only two survived out of the 5 left. Have you ever heard of fluorescent lights bothering baby discus? I do admit that I would leave the lights on 24 hours a day because of my schedule and feeding them many times a day and then having to leave.....I felt the need to leave the light on. I only say this because that light seems to bother them if left on for extended periods (which I don't do anymore). They seem to come out of hiding if I have the lights out. They hide now and one darts around if I get too close to the tank. I am feeding them flakes and live black worms. They aren't eating much if any. Should I feed them something else? Should I treat them for anything?
The PH is 6.2, temperature is 28 degrees C. I will definitely turn the heat up. I had not thought of that.
Sorry this is a lengthy note. I am trying to be as specific as possible...
Kevin Delude
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Morten Garathun-Hansen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:13 am

Hi Kevin

First..please let me know the following:

1. Do they breath normally..with both gills etc. ?
2. Do you see any white feces (hanging out of the discus or in the bottom of the tank)

Morten Garathun-Hansen

Postby Kevin Delude » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:48 pm

Hey Morten,
The fishes are breathing with both gills, if anything they seem to be breathing a little fast to me. There doesn't appear to be any white , stringy feces..On the sickest of the two fish I saw what I thought was ich so treated with salt and raised the temperature to 89 F (31.7 C). It was been one week since I started the salt treatment so was thinking today I would slowly decrease the temperature and do my water changes with fresh water. Does that sound like a good think to do at this point? I started feeding them live baby brine shrimp 4 days ago and they seem to be eating alright.
Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks so much,
Kevin
Kevin Delude
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Morten Garathun-Hansen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi Kevin :welcome:

Keep the temperature at 89F for 3-4 more days, and try to change water every day.
Let us know if you run into more problems and if they stop eating again!

Morten Garathun-Hansen

Return to Breeding Discusfish and Raising Fry