I need your opinion

here you can put up all your questions, problems, hints and tips about breeding discusfish.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

I need your opinion

Postby Valy Cotofrea » Sun May 13, 2012 8:14 am

Hello again, I have a pair that is laing eggs since february and the male is eating the eggs one by one as soon as the female is laing them. He is not trying to fertilise them... just eating. They are in the comunity tank (300 liters) with other 6 discus (another 2 pairs and 2 females). I started to think that is possible to be 2 females instead of a pair, so I need your opinion

male

I dont have any pictures with "his" tube because he doesnt want to reveal it.... :jester:

confirmed female

so can U help ? :angel:
Valy Cotofrea

Re: I need your opinion

Postby Tony Vaughan » Tue May 15, 2012 8:58 am

Hi Valy :welcome:

Can you remind me how old the fish are please :question: :?: :question:

Best Regards.................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Valy Cotofrea » Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 am

hi :)
They are about 16 months old, thanks
Valy Cotofrea

Postby Tony Vaughan » Thu May 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Then you can leave it for now as the fish are still young :wink:

Or if you do not wish to wait then you could try swapping the male for another. There is a risk that both are females so try to get a good look when they spawn. It's not important to get good pics but more important to get a good look yourself and make a guess if you have a male and a female. It should be obvious when both tubes are dropped :thumbsup:

Best Regards...................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Valy Cotofrea » Thu May 17, 2012 7:34 pm

As I said before the male never dropped his tube, but anyway I solved the problem..........I sold them :glasses: because I'm tired to wait for them, I already have 2 confirmed pairs (that was my goal ).
The good news is that today I got my first free swimers (i'm guessing they are around 100 ) and I'm verry exited :jester:

Thanks for all,

Best Regards ......... Valy
Valy Cotofrea

Postby Tony Vaughan » Fri May 18, 2012 8:01 am

Nice One Valy :wink:

Be sure to keep us posted on the babies as they grow :thumbsup:

Best Regards.................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Valy Cotofrea » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:50 am

Long time has past since I last posted here and now I come with some news. So I have 2 pairs left and a strange thing has happened, the pairs swiched partners ...didnt know they can do that after 6 months of continous spawning and almost 1 year since they 1st pair off . And that's not all :)) , one of these pair has managed to get fry in the comunity tank where I have only tap water with initial GH around 13 :D, and the frys have hached in proportion of 85-90% (they are about 150-200 fry). I dont have much expectation of this spawn because the tank is planted and large (L100cm x l 55cm x h 57 cm) so manny fry will get lost but I wanted to share with you my latest experiences.

Best regards, Valy
Valy Cotofrea

Return to Breeding Discusfish and Raising Fry