Parents fighting?!?

here you can put up all your questions, problems, hints and tips about breeding discusfish.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

Parents fighting?!?

Postby Naomi Harel » Mon May 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Yesterday I noticed that both parents were in different parts of the tank, not together, each carrying around some of the fries. Then when one of the parents got close to the other parent, the parent that was being still attacked the parent that was moving closer. I'm not sure which of the parents is the male and which one is female, that didn't matter because they were attacking each other. Fortunately when I walked over to the tank they would stop fighting and separate, and the fries, not about a week old, went to one parent or the other and seemed fine. It's just the parents and the fries in a 120g tank, the other adult discus were moved to a different tank already.

The fighting stopped when I turned the tank light off. I had been keeping the light on since the fries hatched so they could find the light colored parents more easily. Last night I turned the tank light off overnight but the parents are still squabbling when the lights are on today, though not as much as yesterday.

I'm considering removing one of the parents and really not sure what to do. Thank you for any advice you have.

Naomi
Naomi Harel

Re: Parents fighting?!?

Postby Tony Vaughan » Mon May 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Naomi :welcome:

You could remove the parent that is causing the most trouble and see if the other parent is able to take care of the fry. Or before you try this you could put a wire mesh (cylindrical) in shape around the one that fights the least but with holes large enough in the wire that the fry are able to pass through to the other fish without problem. The wire surround will prevent the weaker fish getting hurt by the stronger fish but will also allow both fish to feed the fry :wink:

Hope this Helps.

Best Regards.............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Naomi Harel » Mon May 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for answering my question. I can't tell which parent is lacking more in manners :( so maybe instead of shaping the wire into a cone I can just use it to divide the tank. This will probably keep both parents happier than one having its movement restricted or being banished from the tank completely. I'll check with the lfs and local forum about water conditions and materials that are safe/unsafe to put in the tank.

At first I thought the lack of rest w/o light may be stressing the parents and causing the fighting but after catching them fighting again today and turning the tank light off, I saw them fighting again while the lights were still off. Do you (or anyone) have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks,
Naomi
Naomi Harel

Postby Valy Cotofrea » Wed May 23, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm in the same situation with my pair, the fry are about 1 week old since they hached, and in my opinion they fight for the fry (whom to feed them).In my case the fights are not taking for a long time (about 1 min) and are not in hight intensity, they stop and usualy the female is the winner :) . I dont want to separete them yet because my fry didn't dicovered artemia (I hope they will start to eat it soon), but if the fights increase in intensity I'll remove the female.

I wish you all the best with your fry.

Best Regards.....Valy
Valy Cotofrea

Postby Mauricio Silva » Mon May 28, 2012 2:56 pm

Hello,

What is the pH that you have in your tank?
Sometimes they fight more when the pH is too low, below 6.
Mauricio Silva

Postby Valy Cotofrea » Mon May 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Hello,
The ph was 6,5 until i started to add tap water (a few days ago), now I dont know what's the ph value but it shoul be betwen 6,5 and 7. I notice that the fights are increasing so I dont think it is because of the ph value .....I heard that they become more protective as the fry are growing

Best Regards,
Valy
Valy Cotofrea

Postby Tony Vaughan » Tue May 29, 2012 8:38 am

Hi All :welcome:

Some good info there :wink:

How are things today :question: :?: :question:

Best Regards...............Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator