newbie Philippines-planted tanks

For most of the people difficult to do, so get here your help! Also discuss here the articles you read about planted discus tanks.

Moderator: DPH Moderators

newbie Philippines-planted tanks

Postby Moja Mujaden » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:41 pm

Mabuhay!

I just want to share my "works" in progress....and criticisms/suggestions/appreciations/advises will always be of utmost importance to me. Please bear with me, since i'll be posting 25 pics all in all..i want you all to see my tanks in its raw form...hehehehe. Just to remind the group, i really feel that i have very little aquascaping skills (or none at all) and as of now my goal is how to keep the plants alive.

I took a picture of the tank before i added the "river-sand" .... maybe next time i'll use pure soil as my substrate. Again, i mineralized it..according to the website i've read on how to mineralize your soil. I used river-sand because thats the only thing my money can buy right now. hehehe

I've noticed that when you soak your soil for a long period of time, the texture changes its kinda smooth and more compact in a good way. I can't help it i am a big fan of K.R. and i really love the idea of using soil as substrate because i like working with soil, i love to get my hands "dirty" actually, i really dont use gloves when i work in the garden. Since its a soil substrate, the snails seems to be just gliding from one end to another, i guess they're really loving it and seeing them doing it gives me a very good feeling especially when i see their trails.

I bought the following plants below in a place called "cartimar" here in Manila. Its really a big place full of aquariums and other pet-related stuffs. I said to myself, i'll try growing again the red bacopa and the reineckki since these plants always dies on my 25g setup. But it had a twist, i put them in caps filled with vermi-soil, mineralized soil and river-sand and it looks very promising. i've never seen the plants grow roots so fast.

another example of plants in plastic cups. As you can see in the very first picture, most of the plants are in pots, i did it because back then i was still saving money to buy river-sand. Anyway, i removed some of the plants from their pots since keeping them in it only eats up space but i left a number of plants in the pots to control their growth such as dwarf lotus, vallis, horse-tail and echis.

Unfortunately, the river-sand i bought kinda look like cement sand hehehe. since i still have some white-sand and volcanic dust left i mixed it with my river-sand.

The start of my grueling experience. I have a peace lily hanging in the aquarium many believed that its a good nitrate absorber.
I still have my peace lily para nitrate absorber.

look ma, containersssssssssssssss!!!!

Whenever i would do a WC, i always use the water from my aquarium to water my land-based plants so as not to waste anything.

As you can see the aquarium is filled with floating plants such as najas grass, water lettuce, and many more. I did not throw away my excess plants just yet because i will need it to hasten the cycling process and establish colonies of good organisms.

The (un)finished product. hehehehe

Actually, i only have a small idea on how this aquarium should look like but for now i need to master how to grow plants first. As you can see in the (un)finished product, there are no directions where the aquascape is going..hehehehe

Again, thanks for viewing please feel free to share your views.

Mabuhay!

this one is with me for more than a year now. A lot of things have happened with this aquarium, i removed some of the plants that are just too big or too long. So i just decided to make it a low light/low-tech tank. And i just love echis...

i have this long and narrow java fern, a new addition to my tank. And i recently bough a "pelia", the one in a square metal thingy, its not doing good.

I am open to any suggestions/appreciations/criticisms.

DIY-CO2 - 2 bottles
river-sand (sometimes i topped it off with soil)
1 55w PL and 1 CFL
lighting period is from 6pm-2am

inhabitants
danios
neon tetra
betta
molly
lots of shrims and snails.

Godbless everyone.
God is good all the time!!!
mypalhs.com
reefphilippines.com
pinoyreefers.org
pds.ph/forums
"Those who truly love small life are
deep lovers of Mother Nature" Takashi Amano
Moja Mujaden

Updates

Postby Moja Mujaden » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Mabuhay!

I am on-leave from office work so got nothing else to do so i tinkered my planted tank. I put the floating plants on the left side to give way to the red-colored plants for it to receive long and full power of the sun. Some of the plants have become lethargic because its still adjusting with its new spot in the aquarium...i am hoping that it will get back up soon.

top view

I am trying a number of plants as foreground or cover plant. Actually, i got this idea from another forumer, he used wisteria as foreground, so i said to myself, there's nothing wrong with trying it. I am really having difficulty growing HCs or Glossos since most my tanks belong on low-medi

i transferred my long and narrow fern here. Actually the fern was given to me by a friend...thank you so much friend.

my simple DIY-CO2

I am open to suggestions/critiques whatever...hehehhee

Godbless
mypalhs.com
reefphilippines.com
pinoyreefers.org
pds.ph/forums
Moja Mujaden

Postby Mats Ekholm » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:56 pm

Hi Moja :welcome:

Thanx for shareing :thumbsup: nice pics :thumbsup:
Brg-Matte- :owl:
Im not confused, Im just well mixed !
Mats Ekholm
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Serge Beaudoin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:56 pm

:welcome: Hello Moja, Thanks for sharing your pictures with us :thumbsup: Nice plants

Serge
Serge Beaudoin
V.I.P.

Postby Walter Soestbergen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 am

great shots, and thanks for sharing.

regards Walter
I'm myself, there are already enough others.
Walter Soestbergen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fred Goodall » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:58 pm

Thanks for sharing your tank with us.

Regarding the red plants... watch your Fe level and maybe "thin" the floating plants so that more light reaches the leaves of the red plants :wink:
Regards,

fred :hat:

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

just a simple update

Postby Moja Mujaden » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:01 pm

Mabuhay!

Happy Holidays!

hey folks, thanks for the complimes, suggestion and advises.

Well, its gonna be for awhile for the next update since its going to be a very busy next month for me. till then...

--the current look of my tank...and the plants seems to be growing close to each other but .....i like it!!! hehehe

--almost all of the stem plants are reaching the water surface but i will put on hold my pruning sheers for the moment.

--my water lettuce is breeding like rabbits. whew!

--my dwarf water lotus has flowered again.

thanks for any response/suggestions

Godbless

:welcome:
mypalhs.com
reefphilippines.com
pinoyreefers.org
pds.ph/forums
Moja Mujaden

Postby Fred Goodall » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:31 pm

I would suggest some pruning... to keep the stem plants "growing fast" as they help "starve out" BGA / Cyanobacter :wink: Otherwise keep Fe and Potassium levels up and Nitrogen levels as near "zero'ed out" as you can... meaning that Nitrogen supplied / added to water system is "consumed" entirely every 24 hours.
Regards,

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Judy Sparkes » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:48 am

Hi, Moja! :welcome:

Great pictures! I'm as interested in the orchids on top of the tank as i am in what's in the tank! :thumbsup:

What are you doing to fertilize these plants?? Please share your regular schedule....so far you are not having issues with algae??

Great pictures....please keep them coming!

Jude :bwian:
Life is what happens when you're busy making plans!
Judy Sparkes
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:37 am

GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

75g sunfed updates

Postby Moja Mujaden » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Mabuhay!

A Bountiful, Peaceful and Happy New Year to all! Its nice to be back.

@Fred
hi sir, thanks for the tip.

@judy sparkes
thank you madam. No ferts regimen until now. I do have algaes but it doesnt bother me for now.

@mark
hahahahahahhaa though thanks anyway :tong:

Just a little update of my 75g sun-fed aquarium-pond. :cheers: Took some shots of plants which have

emersed growths and flowers.

Echinodorus horemanii in bloom

its a mess...

the reineckii in bloom and emersed growth of water wisteria

plantlets of my Echinodorus 'Ozelot'

Limnophilia sessiflora (Ambulia) in bloom. The leaves also changes in emerse growth.

emersed growth of r. macandra

my peace lily, its a bog plant actually but can also be successfully grown in soil which is always the case.

actually, its carti moss and i put some HCs in there. But the original plant was a pitcher plant.

my aponogeton from pet city

my gift to myself this Christmas a crinum calamistratum

my long and winding fern

my faithful lotus with some emersed growth of mexican oak

remnants of excess plants

current look

I have no idea as to how i want the inside to look-like but maybe just maybe i'll put in more hard-to-find echis plants.

Any inputs?

MY CURRENT BABY

Just a simple update of my 10g experiment. Just set this up a couple of months ago but was resetup last month. The aquarium is temporarily placed in my room and with the following specs:

10g
external filter
33watts PL
soil substrate
cork-board for the anubias, mosses and soon to have plants.
timer for lighting (9pm-4am)

inhabitants
4 unknown fish-folks ----i dont know how it got there
1 shrimp

top view
since it was neglected for awhile.....definitely an overgrowth

removed the many floating plants

external filter
---i'll just drill a hole in one of the tubes of the EF so that i can inject CO2 into the tank.

golden nana

mosses

(UN) finished product

---glosso. or what i remained of it.

till next time...

Happy New Year!!!!

Godbless
mypalhs.com
reefphilippines.com
pinoyreefers.org
pds.ph/forums
Moja Mujaden

Postby Fred Goodall » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:42 pm

HI Moja ,

Belated reply, sorry :oops:

Great tank and pics as always, and again, thank you for sharing your garden with us!
Regards,

Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Discus in a Planted Tank